EPJ Web Conf.
Volume 239, 2020ND 2019: International Conference on Nuclear Data for Science and Technology
|Number of page(s)||5|
|Section||Nuclear Data in Fusion Application|
|Published online||30 September 2020|
Comparative survey of evaluated nuclear data libraries for fusion-relevant neutron activation spectrometry
1 Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Hermann-von-Helmholtz Platz 1, 76344, Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen, Germany
* Corresponding author: since Feb. 2020 at Khalifa University, Abu Dhabi, UAE, email ID: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
** See the author list of “Overview of the JET preparation for Deuterium-Tritium Operation” by E. Joffrin et al. to be published in Nuclear Fusion Special issue: overview and summary reports from the 27th Fusion Energy Conference (Ahmedabad, 22-27 Oct. 2018)
Published online: 30 September 2020
The neutron flux-spectrum in a fusion device is frequently determined with activation foils and adjustment of a guess-spectrum in unfolding codes. Spectral-adjustment being a rather complex and uncertain procedure, we are carefully streamlining and evaluating it for upcoming experiments. Input nuclear cross-section data holds a vital position in this. This paper presents a survey of common dosimetry reactions and available data files relevant for fusion applications. While the IRDFF v1.05 library is the recommended source, many reactions of our interest are found missing in this. We investigated other standard sources: ENDF/B-VIII.0, EAF-2010, TENDL-2017, JENDL-4.0 etc. And, we analysed two experiments to ascertain the sensitivity of the spectral adjustment to the choice of nuclear data. One was performed with D-D (approx. 2.5 MeV peak) neutrons at the Joint European Torus (JET) machine and another with a white neutron field (approx. 33 MeV endpoint energy) at Nuclear Physics Institute (NPI) of Řež. Choice of cross-section source has affected the integral fluxes (<5%), reaction rates (<10%), total fluxes in some sensitive energy-regions (>20%) and individual group fluxes (<30%). Based on this experience, essential qualitative conclusions are made to improve the fusion activation-spectrometry.
© The Authors, published by EDP Sciences, 2020
This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.